Friday, February 13, 2015

Interview with Author Marissa Honeycutt

Author Marissa Honeycutt’s releases her 4th book Ensnared: Life of Anna Part 4 today February 13, 2015. 

Marissa chatted with us over e-mail giving us a little glimpse of where her ideas for this series came from along with random tidbits on Yankee Doodle.


When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I never really made that decision. I wrote because I had a story in my head and needed to get it out. I never planned to share Anna with anyone, let alone publish it. But for some reason, I shared it with a friend and he liked it. Then I shared it with my hubby, and he liked it. Then I got ballsy and shared it with some people on Goodreads and it kinda went from there.

Any writing I did growing up was only for me. I never shared it with anyone. I wrote to keep myself company and get emotions out. I even wrote poetry. My parents said I've always been a good writer. I wrote them a poem for some anniversary when I was much younger. But, it's always been a personal thing. If you'd told me a year ago that I would e a published author, I would have laughed at you.


How long does it take you to write a book?
Depends. Anna's complete story in raw form took me about 6 months to actually write down, I think. I had other stories I was working on at the same time as well. But the story had been inside my head in various forms for about a year. That's the only book I've finished. :) I'll have to let you know the proper answer later.


What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
When I was writing before, I wrote almost constantly. Now I'm in editing and promotion mode. When I start writing again it will be different because I'm homeschooling my son now during the day and have to be responsible. I guess I'll have to give you a proper answer to this question later as well. :)


Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
My sick and twisted head. I do a lot of research though. I like to know my characters inside and out before I start writing (at least with stories other than Anna. I almost know the characters in LoA better than I know myself). I need to know the setting extremely well. I need to know the time period or the world, depending on the setting. Once I have everything in my head, then the story just pours forth.


Tell us a little about your background?
I'm 37 years old. Lived in Arizona my whole life. I’ve been married for 10 and a half years. We have two boys, 6 & 8, and I recently started homeschooling the oldest. We will bring the younger one home soon next year for 1st grade. He’s doing well in regular school right now though. I am one class away from my Bachelors in Accounting, but I’m debating if I want to go to work and use it, or just stay as I am and write and be a mom. I’m leaning towards the latter.


Have you ever been in trouble with the police? If YES, for what?
no


What is your biggest fear?
Emotional vulnerability. Giving someone the power to make me happy (and sad at the same time)


What secret talents do you have?
I am a classically trained soprano. I danced classical Russian ballet from the time I was 4 until I was 14. I also played French horn in high school.


Why did Yankee Doodle name the feather in his hat Macaroni?
I'm familiar with the history of the song, but had a hard time putting it into words, so I copied it from Wikipedia. lol

The song "Yankee Doodle" was "originally sung by British military officers to mock the disheveled, disorganized colonial "Yankees" with whom they served in the French and Indian War." Also "The Macaronis were young English men who adopted feminine mannerisms and highly extravagant attire, and were deemed effeminate. They were members of the Macaroni Club in London at the height of the fashion for dandyism, so called because they wore striped silks upon their return from the Grand Tour - and a feather in their hats."

So, basically, the British were insulting the Americans by singing this song. lol. Doesn't the real history of songs just ruin the romanticism? (You should check out the history of "We Wish You a Merry Christmas")


What is your favorite body part?
Eyes


What would you name the autobiography of your life?
"Three Steps Forward, Two Steps Back"


Have you ever had something happen to you that you thought was bad but it turned out to be for the best?
Many, many, many times. The most recent being going into the mental hospital in July because I was on a bad medicine and it made me suicidal. Turns out to be one of the best things that could have happened because I got perspective. The main ones were that I realized what a great husband I have and that I love my kids and could never leave them.

If you could be any fictional character, who would you choose?
Elizabeth Bennett. I love the story of Pride and Prejudice and she's a great character. Strong but still feminine and acts appropriate according to her station and time period.


When making an entrance into a party, do you make your presence known? Do you slip in and look for someone you know? Do you sneak in quietly and find a safe spot to roost?
I would slip in and look for someone I know. I'm quite shy in unknown situations.



What’s one thing you’d rather pay someone to do than do yourself? Why?
Clean my house. I like cleaning, but I never seem to have time to do it.


You have to drink four pints of a liquid per day (not water). What is it?
Pepsi. I'm addicited!


If someone asked you to give them a random piece of advice, what would you say?
First thing that always comes to mind is "Never eat yellow snow", which is weird, because I live in the desert.


Do you write naked?
No. I'm rarely naked. I always have little boys around.


What’s your favorite joke?
The clerk walks into the boss's office and says, "The auditors have just left, sir.""Have they finished checking the books?", asks the boss. "Very thoroughly," is the reply. "Well, what did they say", says the boss. "They want 15% to keep quiet."

A businessman was interviewing job applications for the position of manager of a large division. He quickly devised a test for choosing the most suitable candidate. He simply asked each applicant this question, "What is two plus two?"
The first interviewee was a journalist. His answer was, "Twenty-two".
The second was a social worker. She said, "I don't know the answer but I'm very glad that we had the opportunity to discuss it."
The third applicant was an engineer. He pulled out a slide rule and came up with an answer "somewhere between 3.999 and 4.001."
Next came an attorney. He stated that "in the case of Jenkins vs. the Department of the Treasury, two plus two was proven to be four."
Finally, the businessman interviewed an accountant. When he asked him what two plus two was, the accountant got up from his chair, went over to the door, closed it, came back and sat down. Leaning across the desk, he said in a low voice, "How much do you want it to be?" He got the job.


What’s the first thing you notice about people?
Their eyes.


Speed Round Questions:

Pool or Beach 
Pool

Brad Pitt  or George Clooney 
George Clooney

Less Filling  or Tastes Great
Taste great

Pudding or Jello 
Pudding

Shaken or Stirred
Shaken

Manchester United  or Man Chest Hair United
Manchester United

Car With No Shoes or Shoes With No Car
Car With No Shoes

Currency Named After You or Country Named After You
Country Named After You

Bald or Hairy
Bald

In or Out 
In

LET'S TURN THE TABLE:

If you could ask the Beantown Bitches Book Page one question...What would it be?

Marissa: Will y'all meet me in NY in May if I get selected to be an author at that NY Signing? And then give me a tour of Boston afterwards? ;)!

Beantown Bitches:
Marissa is lifting The Restraining Order on us!! We have it right here in writing!!! There is some valuable information to gain here by saying yes!!! I will not promise she will return from Boston or the same way she came!

So it looks like the Beantown Bitches are going on a ROAD TRIP!
NY or BUST BABY!!!




Life of Anna Series by Marissa Honeycutt
Click on cover links to purchase.
 Enslaved: Life Of Anna Part 1    



      



Stay up to date with everything Marissa at the following addresses:

Author Goodreads Page:https://www.goodreads.com/author/…/8306428.Marissa_Honeycutt
Twitter: @marihoneycutt ~
Facebook Author Page:https://www.facebook.com/MarissaHoneycuttAuthor…



No comments:

Post a Comment